When wearing orthodontic braces, it is important to remember that they need to be cleaned and maintained as any other device would need to be. Keeping your braces clean and cared for is important, so here are some tips to help you:
– If a wire or bracket should come loose on our braces, minimize the damage by covering the loose end with a dental wax and schedule a visit with your orthodontists as soon as possible.
– Keeping your braces clean and clear of debris requires a standard routine to operate as normal, including brushing and flossing daily. If you struggle from flossing with standard tools, use alternatives such as water flossers.
– Never wait too long to clean your retainer. Focus on a routine of weekly cleaning at the least.
– Always attend cleanings and exams with your orthodontists.
– To ensure your braces will continue to function as required, some food restrictions may be necessary. For instance, sticky and chewy foods can get trapped between your braces and teeth, so avoid if possible.
– Sports and other outdoor activities are a leading cause of oral accidents in patients, so it is important to always protect your teeth at all times by wearing mouth guards, facemasks, or headgear, if applicable.
If you suffer from malocclusions or teeth out of alignment, contact Liang Orthodontics at 202-966-7711 to see if an orthodontic treatment such as braces is right for you. To schedule an oral examination with Dr. Liang, Dr. Liang, and our team at our orthodontic office in Washington, DC, please contact us when possible. It’s never too late to start taking steps to a healthier you.