To better understand some of the most common problems we see in orthodontics, please read about these types of malocclusion that we often encounter at Liang Orthodontics. If you have any questions about malocclusion in Washington, DC, or if you would like to schedule your visit with Drs. Liang and Liang, our talented orthodontists, we welcome you to call or visit us soon. We are eager to care for your smile!
Many of the most common orthodontic problems involve malocclusion, or bad bites. Some of these bad bites include:
- Overbite – An overbite occurs when the upper front teeth extend over the lower front teeth. This can sometimes cause the lower front teeth to bite into the roof of the mouth.
- Underbite – An underbite occurs when the lower jaw extends out, causing the lower front teeth to rest in front of the upper front teeth.
- Open Bite – An open bite occurs when the upper and lower front teeth do not overlap. Open bites frequently cause problems with chewing, and can either contribute to or be caused by poor oral habits such as tongue thrusting.
- Crossbite – Crossbites occur when the upper teeth sit inside the lower teeth, causing misaligned jaw growth and tooth stratification (division into layers).
- Protrusion of the Upper Front Teeth – This type of bite problem occurs when the upper teeth extend too far forward, or the lower front teeth do not extend forward far enough.
- Unmated Dental Midlines – This problem occurs when the back bite of the teeth does not fit or match correctly. It can negatively impact the function of your jaw.
Our orthodontists and team are committed to helping you achieve a healthier, straighter smile. We invite you to contact us today at 202-966-7711 for more information on common orthodontic problems and to schedule your appointment at our office.